The agony of waiting for test results. How do you cope?

By Dr GaryCA Latest Activity June 8, 2017 at 7:34 pm Views 2,668 Replies 2

Dr Gary

One of the responsibilities of living with a chronic condition like diabetes is getting your labs done. Waiting for the results can be stressful. After all, the outcome can have a big impact on your life. That’s a lot of uncertainty to sit with while you’re waiting.

I hear this often from clients who are awaiting test results. Here’s what clients in this situation often experience:

• Worrying. All the uncertainty. It leaves you with an achy feeling that kind of hangs over you like a dark cloud.

• Creating stories. Without adequate information, our mind fills in the gaps. Usually with one “what if” after another, each conjuring up another version of the worst possible scenario.

• Stressing out. Yes, that’s where all that worry and story creation takes you. And stress makes it that much harder to cope. It’s a vicious cycle.

I recently posted an article on this topic. Here’s a link:

http://www.fibromyalgiaconnect.com/fibromyalg...

Does waiting for test results stress you out? If so, how do you cope? If not, what do you to keep from stressing?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Liza.lu89
    Liza.lu89 July 18, 2017 at 1:51 pm   

Waiting was the hardest part. It took about three years to get a diagnosis. Firstly, my doctor told me to change my diet and exercise. Over the corse of the next year I was told the same thing each visit. He tested for autoimmune disorders, thyroid issues, diabetes, and general blood panel work. I became really frustrated so I quit going. I continued for almost two years with bouts of horrible pain. Then in January I ended up in the ER because I couldn't breathe. After that my pain flair began again but didn't go away. All my large joints hurt (hips, knees, elbows), my muscles hurt, something like a combination of the flu and a hard work out. I became confused at the drop of a hat. I developed even worse sleep patterns than I had already experienced. This time I went to the Nurse Practioner here in my small rural Oklahoma home town. I poured my heart out to her. She ran the same tests as my doctor had a few years prior to rule other illnesses out. All were clear. I remember the day she gave me my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia being such a relief because I knew, I knew the reason, I knew wasn't crazy, I knew it wasn't just my diet, etc., I knew it wasn't all in my head. Since then, June to precise, I've been taking Lyrica and Meloxicam. I won't no can't say that I'm back to 100%. But what I can say is I can function everyday. Some days I feel about 80%, others I feel about 40%. But I'll take it.

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA December 30 at 8:46 pm   

Hey Liza, I am so sorry I missed your message. I hope you are still checking into the site. Glad you are here! I felt sad when I read your post. It seems that so often the diagnosis of fibromyalgia isn't confirmed until the patient has consistently asked for help and, as you described, experienced such pain and discomfort. It's really a tragedy. I am glad to hear you were able to get to someone who could give you a diagnosis. And you are correct, once you know what you are dealing with, then you can get the help you need. I hope you will stay in touch with us!