The agony of waiting for test results. How do you cope?

By Dr GaryCA Latest Activity June 8 at 7:34 pm Views 859 Replies 1

Dr Gary

One of the responsibilities of living with a chronic condition like diabetes is getting your labs done. Waiting for the results can be stressful. After all, the outcome can have a big impact on your life. That’s a lot of uncertainty to sit with while you’re waiting.

I hear this often from clients who are awaiting test results. Here’s what clients in this situation often experience:

• Worrying. All the uncertainty. It leaves you with an achy feeling that kind of hangs over you like a dark cloud.

• Creating stories. Without adequate information, our mind fills in the gaps. Usually with one “what if” after another, each conjuring up another version of the worst possible scenario.

• Stressing out. Yes, that’s where all that worry and story creation takes you. And stress makes it that much harder to cope. It’s a vicious cycle.

I recently posted an article on this topic. Here’s a link:

http://www.fibromyalgiaconnect.com/fibromyalg...

Does waiting for test results stress you out? If so, how do you cope? If not, what do you to keep from stressing?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Liza.lu89
    Liza.lu89 July 18 at 1:51 pm   

Waiting was the hardest part. It took about three years to get a diagnosis. Firstly, my doctor told me to change my diet and exercise. Over the corse of the next year I was told the same thing each visit. He tested for autoimmune disorders, thyroid issues, diabetes, and general blood panel work. I became really frustrated so I quit going. I continued for almost two years with bouts of horrible pain. Then in January I ended up in the ER because I couldn't breathe. After that my pain flair began again but didn't go away. All my large joints hurt (hips, knees, elbows), my muscles hurt, something like a combination of the flu and a hard work out. I became confused at the drop of a hat. I developed even worse sleep patterns than I had already experienced. This time I went to the Nurse Practioner here in my small rural Oklahoma home town. I poured my heart out to her. She ran the same tests as my doctor had a few years prior to rule other illnesses out. All were clear. I remember the day she gave me my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia being such a relief because I knew, I knew the reason, I knew wasn't crazy, I knew it wasn't just my diet, etc., I knew it wasn't all in my head. Since then, June to precise, I've been taking Lyrica and Meloxicam. I won't no can't say that I'm back to 100%. But what I can say is I can function everyday. Some days I feel about 80%, others I feel about 40%. But I'll take it.