Fibromyalgia and the weather.

By funnygirl98 Latest Activity June 17, 2014 at 10:53 am Views 2,497 Replies 10 Likes 3

funnygirl98

I have had fibromyalgia since june 1997 and I have realized over the years that when the weather changesn my fibro acts up worse than I would like. Besides taking prescription pain pills does anyone have suggestions on anything else that works for this kind of pain? Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful for me.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (10 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Melanie73
    Melanie73 September 5 at 10:32 pm   

Yes! When I know a low pressure/cold front is coming I medicate in advance, eat an even more anti-inflammatory diet, take more magnesium and fish oil (all winter I take much more fish oil). Interesting — "Barometric pressure is the weight of the atmosphere that surrounds us. Barometric pressure often drops before bad weather. Lower air pressure pushes less against the body, allowing tissues to expand. Expanded tissues can put pressure on joints and cause pain." and Tufts U. found that for every 10 degree drop in air pressure there was a corresponding increase in pain from arthritis sufferers. from https://directorthocare.com/does-temperature-...

• JanLam
    JanLam May 13, 2016 at 9:04 pm   
    Edited May 13, 2016 at 9:05 pm by JanLam

I've had fibromyalgia over 20 years now. Someone told me about this lotion, Two Old Goats, which you can order online or a plant nursery. It's all natural. It has Rosemary, lavender, Eucalyptus. Peppermint, Chamomile, and Birch Bark in it. It's wonderful! Sometimes I have to apply it repeatedly over time before I get the full effect. I have several other health issues which it also helps. It's helped my osteoarthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica and restless legs as well. It's not the only thing I use for pain but it's so worth buying that I carry a small bottle in my handbag and keep one beside my recliner. 😊 I especially need it on these rainy days. They are the worst of all!

• Grandma Angie
    Grandma Angie August 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm   

I notice more severe pain during cold, winter weather or rainy weather. I hurt from the inside out as though the pain is inside my bones (best way to describe it). Maybe part of it is now arthritis too? I take Extra Strength Tylenol or Aleve for that pain or rub muscle rub (like Ben Gay) which helps ease the pain so I can rest/sleep better.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous August 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm   

I've tried ice hot, ben gay, salon pas, & other heat patches. They work
    For a little while & then stop. I too feel like pain is from inside out as
    Well. I take TRAMADOL 100 mg every 6 hrs as needed for pain &
    Generic Flexeril 10 MG up to T.I.D. & 1 at bedtime. I use Hydrocodone - pap
    5/325 at bedtime. Pain doesn't completely go away, but I can get some sleep
    Off & on. NSAIDS work for a month or so then quit working. Being a Type II Diabetic
    I have to watch what meds I can take that doesn't counter act each other.
    I also can't take antihistamines due to Dry Macular Degeneration. Do what can
    Anyone tell me what I can do? Because the pain can become unbearable at times.

• Calebsmom
    Calebsmom August 11, 2014 at 12:42 pm   

My 10 year old son with fibromyalgia seems to react to the pressure of a weather system. We live in Southern California where we have very little rain, cold weather, and no snow. But when we get a system of clouds, he's miserable. They will not give children pain meds, so it really sucks. Thankfully, it's infrequent here. I can't imagine what we'd do if we lived somewhere with real weather.

• Katiespace
    Katiespace July 15, 2014 at 3:37 pm   

I do feel. Weather changes in my body. I too am looking for something our Dr in Idaho hate giving pain meds:). Good luck to you:)K

• margo 1208
    margo 1208 June 30, 2014 at 1:25 am   

when i am overheated i use a frozen eye mask for migraines pushed up on my forhead o cool off and if its really hot i swing it around so it sets on my neck and that seems to cool me off faster.helps bring down swelling on my cervical spine vertabraes too.

• margo 1208
    margo 1208 June 30, 2014 at 1:23 am   

cold damp winters are terrible i use a space heater new my bed to keep me warmer than having to turn up thermostat and heating whole place when others are already warm eenough.hot moist summer makes it humid and i prespire profusely. i do not do any chores in the heat of the day,dress with the least clothes i can and try to stay in cool air con room and use a fan on me if its too cool for others. if others are hot and i feel cool i add a layer of clothes. i can take them off if i get too warm after awhile. its hard to accomodate others,but i try my best to understand their need for comfort too.sometimes we just need to work out a compromise.

• MistyB12
    MistyB12 June 18, 2014 at 8:25 am   

Hey Funny Girl. I find some heat and ice alternating, is helpful. Depending on your "hot spot"( mine is my hands) just do heat for 15 min and ice 15 min then rest. It's an ongoing battle when it's humid outside, but just keep up with your pain meds and exercise when you can! Hope this helps!

• funnygirl98
    funnygirl98 June 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm   

thanks for the suggestion I'll try it and let u know how it goes;-)