Feeling Cold? Is this a symptom of Fibromyalgia?

By LanaPA Latest Activity March 18, 2013 at 9:46 am Views 805 Replies 6 Likes 2

Lana

I am cold all the time. I wear layers in wintertime and even in the summer months.

Being sensitive to cold is a symptom reported by many fibromyalgia sufferers. The winter months can be tough for us and sometimes, the only resolution is just to stay warm. Unfortunately, people with fibromyalgia have a hard time getting warm and staying warm.

While it may be difficult to stay warm, it is important to dress in layers during the winter months so as to avoid flares. Sadly, there is no medication out there that helps with temperature sensitivity so we are just stuck with staying indoors and dressing in layers both indoors and outdoors.

Is cold sensitivity an issue you have dealt with? What things have you done to stay warm especially during the winter months?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (6 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • eternalthinking77
    eternalthinking77 April 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm   

Idk, but I'm usually the cold one?? I always keep layers.

• April20
    April20 April 8, 2013 at 3:31 pm   

I have the opposite problem. I am always too warm(even as a child) I get really insulted when I am sweating all over the place and well meaning people are "Comiserating with me" "oh youhave gone through the change early as well. I guess indeed my menapause started when I was eight years old LOL. When my guy friend said this due to his non having Fibrmyalgia but is a baby when it comes to being cold I have corrected him, so another victory for my female gender LOL.The only time I get very cold is either due to being sick or my thyroid is bothering me.
    Thanks Lana for showing me that others do suffer as much as I due, but in opposites. I can see how being cold all the time would be awful as well. Although I am not sure if it is my firbomyalgia but I do have reynards in the cold(turining puple and having pain along side it.

• PandorasPandemonium
    PandorasPandemonium March 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm   

I am always cold no matter what season it is. I no longer apologize or provide an explanation for this condition, as I am not in control of my body temperature.

I won't stay indoors because it is cold outside. I live in the wrong state and region for that. LOL

I dress in layers, use a blanket in the car and ask for one if necessary when I visit people.

I always wear booths when it is cold outside, even if there is no snow, and keep a hat and gloves in my purse at all times.

I have a few very warm and lightweight winter coats, that cover what gets the coldest. I use really cute hat and scarf sets that match these warm coats, so not only am I keeping warm, I am styling while I am doing it.

I wear my fiance's fleece coats in my home, because they are too big and cover a lot of my body, and always cover up with a blanket when I am not moving. Of course, the blanket matches the couch pillows and the living room.

Always being cold is a fact of life for me, I merely consider the rest of the world wrong because they are always warm.

• April20
    April20 April 8, 2013 at 3:35 pm   

Hi Pandora
    I am glad that you no longer apologizeor explain why you are cold all the time. You have given me the inspiration not only to remind myself that I am not in control of my body temp(which in my case is always hot. When it is hot outside I before fittness experts, again who are they exactly? demonstrated how to clean and excersice at the same time. I always have done this. I also will walk in the shopping mall befote it opens when it is too hot for me. Yes I am the only non senior citizen, but it does helps.

• sue14
    sue14 April 5, 2013 at 9:15 pm   

I live in a "supposedly" warm state but this winter I was cold all the time. I used flannel sheets, 2 comforters and wore socks to bed (not to forget my sweatshirt). I didn't realize this is a part of fibro. Just thought it was old age creeping up!

• April20
    April20 April 8, 2013 at 3:38 pm   

Sue12
    I did not realize until I read your comment, that I do feel a lot of cold only on my legs and feet which is a constint in even hot weather. Although those parts are the only ones to get cold. So after reading everyones's posts, I feel lucky that at least I am not cold all the time(except my legs and feet)