Fibromyalgia and Relationships

By LanaPA Latest Activity December 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm Views 985 Replies 8 Likes 3

Lana

A new study reveals that fibromyalgia has a negative impact on relationships and it does for a large percentage of those with the disease. Half of respondents to the study said that fibromyalgia had contributed to damage to a marriage or other serious relationship or contributed to a break up.

Many of us have seen the effect first hand that fibromyalgia can have on relations. After all, illness is hard for anyone and it contributes to a lot of other problems such as money and inability to handle responsibilities. It also hard when others do not accept your illness because there are no real tests to prove that the disease actually exists.

What effect has fibromyalgia had on your relationships? Has time helped to rebuild your relationships or have many ended as a result? What helps you get through the breakdown of a relationship due to fibromyalgia?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (8 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • miss_mikki
    miss_mikki January 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm   

I am new to this site. I am glad to see that I am not alone, as I spend many days and nights alone in my room in my bed because getting out of it means I have to face the day. My husband and I do not get along much at all anymore. He says he is sick and tired of hearing that I do not feel good or that I am hurting because that is all he ever hears from me. Didn't realize I complained that much but the truth is, I don't feel good, ever. And I hurt all the time. I have a stupid doctor. His idea of treating me was to send me to a rhuematologist that continues to treat me for arthritis when I have been diagnosed 4 times now with fibromyalgia because every time I go to a different doctor, even when I give them the medical records from all the doctors before them, they make me go through the testing again. I am tired. Just tired.

• PandorasPandemonium
    PandorasPandemonium January 29, 2013 at 6:53 pm   

MISS MIKKI, Welcome to our community!!! Keep talking to us, we are listening, and we do understand.

LANA has given you some great suggestions.

• Lana
    LanaPA January 27, 2013 at 5:37 pm   

I am sorry that living with fibromyalgia has been hard for you. Here is the thing, you cannot let it consume you. If you do, you let the disease win. First, you should get a second opinion and be clear about the type of symptoms you are having. Second, keep a symptom journal. Write down your symptoms, what triggers them, and what makes them worse or better. In a separate part of the journal, write down reminders for yourself (things you want to tell your doctor), questions you have for your doctor, your top concerns (things you inability to work or the effect on your life), notes on conversations you have had with other doctors and tests that have been down, and notes on research you have done about your diagnosis and treatment. If you take notes, you can refer to this information at your next appointment. Also, consider diet changes by avoiding foods that affect your symptoms. Here is some information about diet and fibromyalgia that may help.

http://www.fibromyalgiaconnect.com/fibromyalg...
    http://www.fibromyalgiaconnect.com/discussion...

Our community expert, Sue, is also a great resource for information about living with fibromyalgia through diet and lifestyle changes.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

• PandorasPandemonium
    PandorasPandemonium January 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm   

I have posted many hurt and angry messages regarding this topic. I have finallly come to the conclusion that my nineteen year marriage to my ex husband would have fallen apart weather or not I had Fibromyalgia.

If my ex husband was a compassionate and unselfish human being and man, our marriage would have survived anything. God knows that I would, and have, stood beside him through it all.

I really is a shame, because he is still too selfish to see what he threw away.

• Infirme
    Infirme January 1, 2013 at 10:05 am   

I am a new member. My Rheumatologist recommended being part of a fibromyalgia support group as part of my health treatment. To answer your question about relationships, in my personal opinion having a good communication helps to go through many barriers including health issues. I have been married for almost 36 years and with health issues at least 22. One of the things that have helped me is to educate my spouse about my health and to ask for his support on how to deal with it. On what I call “low moods” I put him on notice by saying do not take it personally and or stay away from me, or I need you for…

• BitrSweet
    BitrSweet December 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm   

Could you please provide a citation for the study?

• Lana
    LanaPA December 20, 2012 at 7:32 am   
    Edited December 20, 2012 at 7:32 am by LanaPA

Here is the link that discusses this study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23172797

• BitrSweet
    BitrSweet December 20, 2012 at 7:46 am   

Thank you! I want to share it with my spouse.