New Clothing Line for Women With Fibromyalgia

By alc56 Latest Activity July 25, 2012 at 12:50 am Views 3,653 Replies 29 Likes 6

alc56

Hey Everyone,

I am in the early development stages of a new clothing line specifically for women with Fibromyalgia.

I have registered my clothing line name and idea with the U. S. Copyright/Trademark/Patten office and have started my business plan. I am looking at a tentative time to start production at this time in 2013.

What I need from ya'll is your thoughts, comments and anything you can think of on what kind of clothing you would like to see on the market.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (29 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • sandyfibro
    sandyfibro June 25 at 12:15 pm   

Hello my name is Sandy I'm new to group I have had fibro for 6 years with severe anxiety and depression from pain. I'm looking to talk and get together with ppl who have this disorder. You can also email.me at sand8112@yahoo.comEmail Small

• precious deb
    precious deb June 19 at 12:09 pm   

Its difficult to get any real comfortable clothes no matter your size. im all about soft because it doesnt hurt me. in the summer dresses are my best buddies, the skirts with roll tops. things that hurt include bras, clothes difficult to get on.

• brownapril41
    brownapril41 June 14 at 10:28 am   

It is difficult to find plus size clothes for fibromyalgia. I wear skirts only and nice tops. Loose is necessary. If I find a skirt I usually need to alter the waist band. It would be nice to have waist bands with optimal stretch. Tops need to be loose and not straight near waiste. Obese people need room to cover there weight and not tighten down for all to see especially when sitting. No tags. Tops with prints because I can not wear a bra. I wear a tank underneth and hide the fact that I can not wear a bra but being loose and prints. Nice then to have solid color maxi type skirts to with the tops. Hope you can help women of all sizes with fibromyalgia. Bra's and underwear are a nightmare. Thanks

• Anonymous
    Anonymous January 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm   

Tags in clothes feel like knives, my bf always laughs at me for cutting all the tags out as soon as i buy stuff. Also i have to take all the wire out of my bras, these are like instramentents of torture.

• NoirAngelique
    NoirAngelique August 23, 2012 at 8:34 pm   

Along with no tags, my biggest issue is organic fabrics, ESPECIALLY cotton. Cotton is now mostly genetically modified in the US and is linked to all kinds of skin issues, allergies and chemical sensitivities…since GMOs are typically modified to survive horrendous amounts of herbi/fungi/pesticides. One of the many joys of fibromyalgia *coff* that I've encountered is a hypersensitivity to chemicals. Being kinda industrial/old school gothy, I wear a lot of cargos and corsets and I've found that having the ability to turn my long pants into short ones and back again or tighten and loosen my tops according to how my body is behaving from one moment to the next has been a lifesaver. Love drawstrings, hate elastic, especially around my wrists and waist. As far as bras go, I hate them, too, but my stuff acts like it's 30 years younger than it is, so I wear them to keep that action going. haha But I'm thinking about trying the Ahh Bra to see if there's enough support. A bra that doesn't make me want to frantically rip it off me AND provides adequate support would be heaven! If you could just throw a few things in there for us *not so mainstream* types, that would be great! :D

• bcb824
    bcb824 August 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm   

No tags. Any tags irritate my skin. I only wear knit pants (because they are soft and light) that have elastic waistbands. Anything that buttons usually fits too tight and hurts. Stretchy is great! Thanks for asking for our input! :)

• Robertstwin1
    Robertstwin1 August 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm   
    Edited August 20, 2012 at 12:05 am by Robertstwin1

I cannot wear shirts with tags. Tags, in shirts or in any clothing I wear literally drive me crazy and hurt. If they have a tag it gets cut right away before I wear it. I like my jammies just a little too big so they will be comfortable. When I am hot I will wear just a loose light shirt to bed and panties. I always have a sheet or blanket, even when I Am cold I have to have fans on; the ceiling fan, my standing fan and my small nitestand fan, all have to be on. I would rather the windows be open with a great breeze but summer it is too hot. I am either too hot or cold. No happy medium. Oh and bras, I hate them hate them. But being large breasted I cannot go too long without one or it becomes hard to breathe and my back hurts more. I have been considering a breast reduction and plan on asking my doctor for a referral for one due to the size of these things. I have always been large since late elementary school. Currently I am a triple D and it is just too much. Hoping I can get the medical clearance to get this done. It is nuts!

• leelee54
    leelee54 August 20, 2012 at 11:32 am   

Thank you for input. This really helps. It seems bras are a big problem for everyone with fibromyalgia. What if you could wear the bras you have now, the only difference is that you would have something underneath that would make it so you don't feel your bra? Would you buy it?

Also I have several websites I've found that have clothes for women who are large busted where the price is very reasonable. I hope you can wait a few months for me to get my website up and running where I will offer these clothes. The clothes I've found seem to have all the criteria mentioned by all who have responded. I decided I would be more of a service if I could offer something for all right now while developing my line. I search the Internet, since that's my business anyway, to find clothing suitable for women with fibromyalgia.

• PandorasPandemonium
    PandorasPandemonium August 7, 2012 at 10:58 pm   

I don't buy shirts that have collars, because the weight of the collar hurts me. Also, I am like SWEETNIKI, I buy enormous pajamas, because if I buy the right size, as soon as I curl up, the leg bottoms are at my knees and my legs get cold, and the bottom of the pajama shirt is half way up my back, leaving my lower back exposed and cold.

• leelee54
    leelee54 August 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm   

Hey everyone,
    I am still working on clothing line but have added something new. My husband brought it to my attention that why reinvent the wheel. So, I went looking for distributors, designers, and manufacturers and found quite a few who have clothing that will fit the needs of women with fibromyalgia. They are a bit pricey but I am going to do the searching for you and put up a store website where you can click on to buy from company who supplies them. I am writing proposals to get the merchandise for less so I can sell it for less. My husband and I have also come up with an under garment that can be worn under your bra and panties. We tested it out this weekend and oh my gosh I was amazed. My husband took a top he used under his leathers when he was motorcycle racing and made me put it on and then I put my bra on over that. I didn't feel my bra at all. It was too tight and I didn't feel any part of the bra at all!!! We are now contacting the manufacturer to get the name of the fabric that was used. The humidity was at about 95% this weekend in Savannah and I was cool as a cucumber with this shirt on. I wore it to bed, and usually sometime during the night I will wake up soaking wet, NEVER happened. I slept through the entire night and woke up dry as a bone.

Next step making our prototype and giving it to several women here in Savannah I know to wear. I'll have them give me their opinions and will tweak it if necessary and then off to market we go.

• Desparatelyseekingkim
    Desparatelyseekingkim August 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm   

Was it under armor…baseball players wear it under their uniforms…supposed to keep you cool when hot and warm when cool??

• leelee54
    leelee54 August 16, 2012 at 8:36 pm   
    Edited August 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm by leelee54

Something similar. But I'm looking at purchasing the material and then using my own design. I've found some bras that should fit every body type but until I purchase them and then wear them and have my testers wear them I won't know how they feel.

I have found 6 retailers who have wholesale programs and their clothing is perfect. These will be to put on my website. I'm also offering a special consulting for local women to help with finding the right kind of doctor, and other expert professionals. I love the direction this is going.
    I'm learning that the whole idea behind having a Business Plan is so to work out the direction you want to go with your business. I love it!!!!!

• Robertstwin1
    Robertstwin1 August 20, 2012 at 12:08 am   

I would love to be one of your testers! Clothes that fit, are comfortable and inexpensive. are so hard to find…

• Desparatelyseekingkim
    Desparatelyseekingkim August 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm   

I forgot to add ironically…I'm trying to do some housework today and I have on one of those horrendous "body shaping" garments on right now so my low back won't be screaming 15 minutes into it…picture this it's like a tube top that goes under your bust no straps tight, hot as hell and the boning is digging into my sides…BUT my back doesn't hurt!! Lol. PS I know it sounds like its too small by my description, it's not it's just that uncomfortable! Just had to laugh at myself.

• Nana Rachall
    Nana Rachall August 22, 2012 at 11:26 pm   

It's such good medicine to laugh at ourselves. Thanks for the smile.

• Desparatelyseekingkim
    Desparatelyseekingkim August 24, 2012 at 11:38 am   

It is nice to know someone gets me! I have at times in the past made comments similar to this that i think are funny and I'm literally smiling while I'm writing it and fall flat with a kind of whah whah…I don't know whether it offends some, but I'm making fun of myself! I know hubby still loves me when he comes home from work and finds me cleaning in my PJs (Capri bottoms) with my support stockings, sneakers ( with orthotics), ponytail, no make up! Get the picture…lovely huh?

• Desparatelyseekingkim
    Desparatelyseekingkim August 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm   

Sounds wonderful!! You know one other market you may tap is peri menopausal and menopausal woman (at least for night wear). Even before I started I was hot all the time but I know all my friends complain about those wonderful hot flashes and waking up soaked. I understand you are targeting comfort for FM ( both texture and temperature) but I definitely could see a benefit there as well. I need it either way just thought I would share that! Good Luck to you, it's great idea. I'm in line!! I'm curious where is local for you?

• baybay11
    baybay11 September 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm   

I LOVE that idea! I'm going through menopause after having to have a total hysterectomy… I wasn't supposed to go through it, i told him to leave one ovary so I wouldn't… the fool took my one GOOD ovary! I just love doctors (not!!!) lol

• Nana Rachall
    Nana Rachall August 4, 2012 at 12:04 am   

Nothing cutting in tight on shoulders. Loose but femininen. No elastic wrist. No tight waist. We ache everywhere.

• Desparatelyseekingkim
    Desparatelyseekingkim August 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm   

Breathable fabric is #1 for me, I tend to be hot all the time ( doesn't matter what weight I'm at I'm always hot). I guess some choice of layers would suit everyone…hot or cold. I gave up on bras while at home, I just can't stand anything tight or binding. I laugh, I bought some "granny" bras (pullover). I'm in the middle on size never a fan of underwire, I would like front closure…I used to always hook in front and slide around back now that hurts my arms. Hope this helps…good luck and thanks for thinking of us!

• sweetniki
    sweetniki July 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm   

Anything that has soft fabrics is always good because my skin always hurts (or feels like it's hurting), and of course nothing too tight like spandex. Shirts feel best when they're slightly form fitted in the chest area but with a little breathing room in the tummy area since it breathes better that way. Any kind of panties in a very soft fabric like cotton (quality cotton though), nothing that will pinch or pull in areas it shouldn't and that have either cotton or soft fabric covering the elastic since sometimes it can be painful when elastic pulls on the skin. Socks that are again, very soft, but breathable. I tend to be freezing 1 minute & burning up the next. And no, I'm not going through menopause. Lol. For bras, I would love to have ones where there is extra security with the underwire part to make sure it doesn't poke it's way out eventually. I've bought very good, expensive bras & even they will still end up with wire that pokes me either in the armpit or my chestbone. Ouch! Padding in a bra is great for me because it gives my skin a little extra comfort and protection when my skin hurts & keep my breasts from moving too much. Pajamas should be maybe extra long pants (I like them long so I can wrap my feet in the bottom of them when I'm cuddled up instead of having to use socks…hehe) and a breathable top, short sleeved or sleeveless is usually preferable except during the cold when something close to a fleece or very thin super soft cotton fitted shirt works great (but make sure the sleeves are not too constricting & can be rolled up easily or scrunched up without being uncomfortable). We don't want to look frumpy & like we're having to dress for fibro, but to have something cute to wear that happened to be super lite & comfortable to work would be amazing! Work clothes are so hard to find that aren't restrictive & painful to wear, so if you can create something everyone can use in modern styles, I think you'd have a great product. :) Sorry for the long reply…I just really love clothes & being comfy all at the same time…hehe. :) Good luck with this & let us know if you need any more ideas!!!

• baybay11
    baybay11 September 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm   

OMG… whoever invents the underwire that doesn't poke through should be a millionaire, and would be my hero… except they'll probably charge an arm and a leg for them! lol

• Purple pulse
    Purple pulse January 19, 2013 at 9:48 pm   

Loud and clear lol

• leelee54
    leelee54 August 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm   

Thank you this is so helpful. After researching I have actually found several manufacturers and designers and distributors who have clothing that will work for us with fibromyalgia.

• swlinda
    swlinda July 25, 2012 at 10:37 am   

I don't like front closure bras because some way or another the front snaps bite into my skin. I guess because I am a larger woman. I tried the genie bra but it wasn't big enough. We really need something like that in larger sizes.

• alc56
    alc56 July 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm   

Thanks for your input. This helps a lot.

• mammaG
    mammaG July 25, 2012 at 4:10 am   

my bigest problem is s bra that will support and stay put. Some of speciltists have suggest a sports bra these arenot the best for larger women. Also a frontcloser is my choice, will be waiting to see the great fasions,

• alc56
    alc56 July 25, 2012 at 6:54 am   

Thank you for your input. I've heard that the Genie Bra is great, but I really don't know because at this time bras don't bother me. I'll see what I can up with though. Would a front closure on your bra work for you?