Can medical marijuana help with fibromyalgia pain?

By Lana Latest Activity June 25, 2012 at 3:38 pm Views 7,193 Replies 12 Likes 4


Only a handful of states allow the use of prescription marijuana for the management of fibromyalgia pain and other chronic pain conditions. Medical marijuana is not a new thing. In fact, it was prescribed to patients until 1942 when it was taken off the list of commonly available drugs in the United States. Despite this, medical marijuana is still available and prescribed in its pill form, Marinol. Most research has found it effective in relieving pain, increasing appetite and relieving nausea and vomiting. Further, Marinol only contains one cannabinoid of the 60 to 70 found in the marijuana plant. That ingredient is called delta-9 THC when isolated in its pill form.

Research finds that THC can help decrease pain in fibromyalgia patients. Additionally, most patients have also reported a reduction in other symptoms such as depression and insomnia and very few side effects.

In the United States, the legality of medical marijuana is determined state-by-state. It has been reported that about 10 percent of fibromyalgia patients use marijuana to relieve their pain and other fibromyalgia symptoms, this according to a new study. ( Unfortunately, that number also includes illegal marijuana.

Do you think that it would be a benefit to fibromyalgia patients if medical marijuana became legal in all states? Would you try it if it becomes available in your state to manage fibromyalgia symptoms?

  • Report Report as inappropriate
  • Share
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (12 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • April20
    April20 December 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm   

    Yes it has helped me very much. I stopped taking it, now I am worse. If it's(Compassion Act), or in Coloroda. Please though do not smoke it, it's even worse then ciggaretts, I myself use the edibles.

  • ryanalyssa95
    ryanalyssa95 December 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm   

    In NV it is a leagal medical aid if you can pay the price of a doctors visit and lisencing yearly. Not cheep I know people who have done it. I struggle with getting my pain to decrease, appitite, sleep deprivation, and much more daily. I have been smoking for almost five years streaight under the radar but within a legal deffence. I now face the trouble with finding a kind that is potent enough to work since my system is so used to it. I want a way to get the pills or something I do not have to inhale would at least be nice.

  • akawicce
    akawicce December 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm   

    I have to say I think the number of about 10% is grossly underreported. LOL probably about 90% of the individuals I know personally who have fibromyalgia and/or RA, lupus, MS, etc, use cannabis for their symptoms, whether legally or illegally. Many states do not have a medical cannabis law, but also do not enforce it when people are disabled or just not obviously stoned or anything. I'm one of maybe 3 or 4 people that I know who has never tried it. That's out of thousands of people I know, only a very small handful who have never even tried it LOL and here I sit, waiting for it to be legal, I guess, I dunno LOL

    I'm not bragging about it… just… seems to me like everyone I know does it LOL more than 10% of the people I know grow their own! ROFL

  • derekshae1
    derekshae1 December 13, 2012 at 1:53 am   

    I hope Oklahoma has some to offer or even anything for that matter.. I was diagnosed but haven't got the money so I lay in complete pain but work and money goes to children… My body has been so bad for so long and I have no guidence to boot

  • Zachery Alan
    Zachery Alan September 13, 2012 at 8:44 pm   

    I also live in FL. I use it regardless of state law because it saved my life. I took every medication I could be prescribed, none of them worked and all made me worse. Marinol was the only thing that ever worked albeit for a short while. People die and suffer every day because they can't grow a plant that used to be a weed in people's yards and in bottles in doctor's hands. We should be able to grow this in our gardens and houses, not suffer for lack of awareness and humanity. I do what Abraham Lincoln did and smoke "a pipe of sweet hemp" too.

  • Robertstwin1
    Robertstwin1 September 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm   
    Edited September 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm by Robertstwin1

    I live in Florida which is a very sad and backwards state in many areas. Knowing for a fact that it helps pain I would definitely use medical Marijuana. I used to work as a nursing aide with Hospice and a couple of my patients smoked in order to help relive pain and to help with nausea. I would like to see every state accept this and decriminalize and legalize its use for medicinal purposes. I am seriously considering moving to a place where I can get the help I really need.

  • CarolynSgr
    CarolynSgr September 3, 2012 at 6:23 pm   

    Hi I live in Oregon and they are every where. Im told if you have 6 or more problems you qualify boy do I qualify!. The only thing is I drive the disables bus for many cities. My boyfriend says if I have the med. marij. that I wont be able to drive, cause it will be on my driving record. I am always in a loop hole.

  • hoka
    hoka August 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm   

    I can tell you for a fact that it works, I use it when I can afford it. I collect disability for a number of reasons. Medical Marijuana keeps all my problems in check. I have lymes disease, anxiety, degenerative disc disease, high blood pressure, Fibromyalgia. Only problem is PA is not one of the states that approve it. Muscle relaxer's r the only thing I can take for it. So if your state approves it, Do IT! You will not regret it!!!

  • Desparatelyseekingkim
    Desparatelyseekingkim July 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm   

    You bet…in a heartbeat!

  • Butterfly8910
    Butterfly8910 July 21, 2012 at 11:34 am   

    Yes I would.

  • bockey
    bockey July 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm   

    M e to

  • PandorasPandemonium
    PandorasPandemonium June 25, 2012 at 4:51 pm   

    yes, I would try it. I live in NY state.