Do you have skin, hair and nail symptoms?

By LanaPA Latest Activity September 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm Views 3,487 Replies 28 Likes 8

Lana

Did you know that fibromyalgia patients have symptoms that affect their skin, nails, and hair? Do you have any of the following symptoms and suffer from fibromyalgia?

• Hair loss and painful scalp
• Nail ridges and nails that curve under
• Cuticles that are splitting
• Blotchy skin or skin tags
• Do you easily bruise or scar?
• Rashes or canker sores

Yes, fibromyalgia affects every part of your body. I have on many occasions said to my hair stylist how bothered I get when my hair gets too thick. I couldn’t really explain the feeling but it sure gets on my nerves. (Isn’t that same for most fibro symptoms?) If my stylist thins my hair, it feels like I can get some relief from that painful scalp feeling.

Doctors have several explanations as to why these symptoms are present in fibromyalgia. Theories include low blood flow or inefficient delivery of nutrients, the failure of the body to completely absorb nutrients, and cellular dysfunction, but these theories haven’t been officially confirmed by any type of research. (Isn’t that the way for fibromyalgia?)

Do you have skin, hair and nail symptoms associated with fibromyalgia. Which ones and have you been able to do anything to resolve them?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (28 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • EdnaShukis
    EdnaShukis July 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm   

Thanks so much I have almost all but never realized it was from the FMS… wow what a lot to digest, only… I wish my hair would get thicker It is so thin and lifeless… but at least I have some, a lot of the females in my family are already bald… UGH This is really an informative site and so nice to be with people that understand… So many people look at you and think you are perfectly normal, Ha what little they know!

• Nana Rachall
    Nana Rachall July 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm   

Come on thick hair. Never had it but dreamed about it! I am noticing dry skin. My bruising I put off to prednisone and hoped it would go away with the weening. Darn!
    Thanks everyone for useful ideas to help with the issues of fibro.

• W Fox
    W Fox November 11, 2011 at 9:57 pm   

I have the blotchy skin and skin tags. As for my hair, I had very thick hair when I was younger but now (at 47) its very thin and thinning at the top and on the sides. I associated this with ageing.

• valentine lady
    valentine lady October 25, 2011 at 11:34 am   

I have all of the above! I thought is was from hypo-thyroidism, but my Dr. assures me I'm on the correct dose of medication for that problem and said it was most likely from fibromyalgia. What I do is use lots of lotion on my body, a special cuticle cream from Avon and my nails I gave up on and have my nails done on a regular basis. I get pedicures every month and use Bag Balm on my feet at night with a pair of socks. (my feet crack) My hair really isn't getting thin, but my scalp hurts. I've found nothing that helps that. I just try and keep on top of it. Sometimes it feels like a loosing battle. The bruising my Dr. says shows signs of lack of "B" vitiamins in the body, so now I take several. It has helped so much, yes I still bruise a little but it goes away quickly. Hope I've been of some help. Sounds like I'm high maintence, but I'm not…I just refuse to give up on the fight. Valentine Lady

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm   

I have all the aboved mentioned conditions. Unfortunately, my Dr's keep doctoring me for everything but FMS. Once I was actually diagnosed with FMS and got to go for low impact water arobics therapy. It sure helped at the time. But it is not the easiest thing to get when you R dealing with the medical community.

• Artielle
    Artielle October 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm   

Interesting. I, too, have deep verticle ridges in my nails. But my nails are pretty strong otherwise. I also have redness at the base of my nails (inflammation) from raynauds syndrome. I wish I had the thickening hair, but mine is falling out alot from the methotrexate. In fact, this is the reason I keep going off the mtx, until I notice an increase in deformity in my fingers or toes. AND I have a lot of skin tags. Wow, did not know that was related to fibro.

• achey
    achey October 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm   

I have problems nails - nail polish makes it worse. Also thinning hair. Skin, hair, nails are all drying out. Have to watch products I use; some aggravate the problem.

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm   

I have found from experience that some of these things are also very characteristic of thyroid disease. Loss of hair;drying out of skin,nails and hair;
    We seem to have in common that we all bruise easily also. I still haven't learned why this is so.
    I do believe there are still many things associated with those of us who have FMS, than they even begin to know yet. They are still learning about it, and it still isn't easily diagnosed properly.

• LasCruces sun spot
    LasCruces sun spot October 25, 2011 at 6:51 pm   

Have had a good day today.at least for me. You just live from day to day. and water therpy is the best. but you have to learn what ex you can do without making things worse

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 25, 2011 at 11:41 pm   

Yes, that uis true about the water aerobics. It helped me and you can only do what your body will tolerate. What is nice is that they are low arobics so therefore we can do more in the water than we could even begin to do above water.

• LasCruces sun spot
    LasCruces sun spot October 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm   

Water arobics help me a lot. Also Massage but you have to have a massage theripts that knows what they are really doing. I get massages two times a week if i did not i get to where i cn not move. it took me years to find someone, and then it took me several months to find someone when i moved to NM.

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm   

I have not tryed the massage. I do like the water aerobics though. They sure helped me at the time. I need to ask about them again.

• LasCruces sun spot
    LasCruces sun spot October 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm   

Have had a good day today.at least for me. You just live from day to day. and water therpy is the best. but you have to learn what ex you can do without making things worse

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 26, 2011 at 10:59 pm   

Glad you have had a good day today. I pray tomarrow is also a good one. hang in there girl!

• Dottie's World
    Dottie's World October 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm   

I've always bruised easily. Once my dr told me that some people just bruise easily. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I sometimes use an arnica cream that I got at the health food store on my bruises. It seems to help them heal quicker and hurt a little less. You might want to try it.

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm   

Thanks Dottie. I have heard of it but never tryed it. Might give it a try. I stayed bruised all the time, especially on my legs and hips. Guess I haven't learned how to stay out of the way. lol Thanks for ur tip. Fibro hugs to you…

• kgmorris22177
    kgmorris22177 October 25, 2011 at 5:41 pm   

i have ridgs on my nails which is normal for people with FM and my hair is frizzy and graying. It gets dry easy as well and my skin is constantly dry and my heels and hands cracking andd blaading

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm   

I didn't know that the ridges are normal for us. and, my hair i just attributed that to the thyroid. Did not really know if they went with fibro. Thanks for your feedback. Hugs to you…

• kgmorris22177
    kgmorris22177 October 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm   

Anytime hun!!! I am reading Fibromyalgia for Dummies but I read another book that told me about the ridges on the nails ND smely urine is normal too . I know that is gross but true. Also dry EVERYTHING )mouth, hair, skin) is normal too

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm   

Wow. Thanks for the info. I have all of the above and didn't know they were all associated with Fibro. I haven't read much on it. I just go with the flow and accept whatever goes wrong.
    I attributed the dry everything to being on to many drugs. Thanks again. Hope your day has been good. Hugs…

• petals
    petals October 27, 2011 at 6:17 am   

Having fibro and diabetes together, I spend alot of money on lotions and creams!!

• achey
    achey October 25, 2011 at 10:12 am   

It's hard to figure out these things - thyroid problems, other hormone problems, etc. I bruise easily, attributed it to Arthrotec, an NSAID, I take for arthritis and mild pain relief. I miss my thick(er) hair. I also have CFS, and a connective tissure disease so I never know what is causing what.

• petals
    petals September 29, 2011 at 7:50 am   

I have nail ridges and my fingernails peel and break so easily.

• LasCruces sun spot
    LasCruces sun spot October 26, 2011 at 7:00 pm   

Take a lot of fish oil and high doses of Bran tablets . it helps my arthrists as well as my finger nails

• petals
    petals October 27, 2011 at 6:13 am   

Thanks, I am taking fish oil, but not bran tablets. What can of bran tablets?

• PandorasPandemonium
    PandorasPandemonium September 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm   

I have never tought about this before. How interesting… I do have a painful scalp on occasions.

• sandeebee
    sandeebee September 21, 2011 at 10:17 am   

I have always had thin nails that rip and turn under. I have commented that my hair is thicker than it used to be, and I bruise so much easier than I used to. I thought it was a part of aging, maybe not?

• dwjames
    dwjames September 21, 2011 at 2:41 am   

I did not know about this problem. I do bruise easy and any type of scarring takes forever to go away. I do have problems with splitting cuticles and nail ridges. This is most interesting. Thanks for posting this. I wonder if this is another thing that additional supplements would help?