Clumsiness and Fibromyalgia

By LanaPA Latest Activity June 9, 2011 at 2:48 pm Views 6,494 Replies 14 Likes 6

Lana

Are you clumsy? Have you gotten clumsier since fibromyalgia came into your life?

For as long as I have had fibromyalgia symptoms, I have been an absolute klutz. I trip over my feet more often than I can count and sometimes I drop things. I have not broken any bones and most of my injuries due fibro clumsiness are relatively minor.

Clumsiness does seem to go hand and hand with fibromyalgia. In fact, there was 2008 study that looked at the balance ability and fall frequency of fibromyalgia patients compared to healthy patients. The study revealed that fibromyalgia patients had significantly impaired balance and reported 37 falls compared to six falls for the healthy participants. The researchers of the study concluded that fibromyalgia does affect the peripheral and/or central mechanisms of posture control. Therefore, fibromyalgia patients should be aware of their balance problems and fall risk related to impaired balance.

Are you a klutz? Did it start or get worse with fibromyalgia? Have you had a serious fall or injury related to the balance issues of your condition?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (14 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • W Fox
    W Fox December 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm   

Oh my gosh, the other day I was refilling my pill box for the week and I dropped first one bottle that spilled on the floor. After getting those picked up, I started with another bottle and dropped that one spilling them on the floor! After getting those picked up, I bumped the pill box and all the work I just did spilled out on the floor. Holy Crap! Guess, Im gonna ask my daughter to refill my pill box each week from now on.

Ive never fallen but I do bump into a lot of things and just scratch's and bruises.

• MistyB12
    MistyB12 June 13, 2011 at 7:39 am   

When it's in my arms and hands, it's almost like I'm trying to manipulate someone else's body parts!

• linda.va
    linda.va June 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm   

I am so clumsy. Tripping over my feet or other items are an everyday occurence. When I get into a car I fall into it. I drop so many things every day. It can be a weightless as a piece of paper to watching my house keys fall out of hand. I have gotten worse over the past 6 months. I have been told it is from my fibro and that yes it will get worse.

I have to use a cane when I walk solely for balance. I always feel like I am going to fall. When I do fall usually will sprain an ankle or an wrist. No broken bones yet.

• sherrannsimon
    sherrannsimon June 11, 2011 at 10:30 am   

yes…clumsy is my middle name now…

• jcschrum
    jcschrum June 11, 2011 at 10:05 am   

I am always bumping into things and getting bruises that I don't know where they came from. Always dropping things to. I have a hard time walking unless I'm holding onto something. Luckily I didn't have a fall yet but always hurt myself from breaking a fall. No broken bones, just bruises. I tend to get bursitis and tendonitis a lot. Also have arthritis, so that doesn't help. It just seems like I'm drunk all the time. LOL I didn't realize fibro can cause this!

• Dottie's World
    Dottie's World June 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm   

I drop things all the time. I also find new bruises in places that I don't remember even hitting on anything, and I lose my balance for no reason. I was never that graceful, now I'm really not!

• Dottie's World
    Dottie's World June 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm   

I drop things all the time. I also find new bruises in places that I don't remember even hitting on anything, and I lose my balance for no reason. I was never that graceful, now I'm really not!

• Bonita P
    Bonita P June 10, 2011 at 7:18 am   

Yes I am one of those who if there is a place that you might fall I will fall.I have been to the ER twice due to falls I bruised my Sturnom(chest)and I cut my hand and had to have 5 stitches. There has been other falls but I did not have to got to the ER for those falls.

• lynnrh
    lynnrh June 10, 2011 at 5:59 am   

If there is one place to trip on in a house, yard or road I will be the one to find it- always just thought I was clumsy but realize it has been the fibro all along.

• Trudie Ann
    Trudie Ann June 10, 2011 at 2:41 am   

I do trip over my own feet. I feel in the kitchen quite a while ago and it broke my right ankle and shattered the leg bone. I now have a steel plate and pins in it so I am totally out of balance. And yes I believe it was related to my fibro clumsiness.
    I have a hard time buying shoes now. I cant wear any kind of heels with my dresses and suits due to balance problems so I had to find some deceint flats. I usually just wear my tennis shoes except to church. Thanks for the post.

• Grandma Cruz
    Grandma Cruz June 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm   

I have a huge problem sith balance. I ended up quiiting the tredmill a couple years ago cause I would have the balance problem and walking I sometime tend to tip to the left side and so far I have been able to catch myself and I hold on to objects if possible to help me.

• BigWhiz
    BigWhiz June 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm   

I have problems with balance but it happens when I least expect it and sometimes it comes and goes I think I take so much medication I get a brain fog and I get unbalance

• 1cookie :)
    1cookie :) June 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm   

I never considered myself clumsy or a klutz…but NOW, I am dropping things more, I think because my hand pulses and I loose my grip when that happends. I definatly get dizzy and loose my balance…bump into the walls; broke my toe when I lost my balance and ran into the leg of furniture because I swerved to close…I will wear my shoes more now to protect my feet.

I get tenitis…noise/ringing in my ears…I'm not sure if that could be why I'm dizzy and loose my balance…an inner ear type thing or not. Even seated I get dizzy. That's one of the things my physical therapist noted…there's no reason that I should have been dizzy for what I was/wasn't doing.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 June 9, 2011 at 5:17 pm   

I am clumsy. I do drop things, and I can't walk at times, I walk like I have been drinking, but I also have osteoarthritis in both feet, too. So, yes, and I have fell some.